Wednesday 20 March 2013

Evaluation Draft: Question 2

Draft Question 2

How does your media product represent particular social groups?
  • Hipsters and trendies
  • Both heavily interested in magazines, internet and radio
  • The kind of people that will be interested in these things and because of this I will be representing this group
  • Also the social group that will be represented will be people who are interested in the music genres which I have based my magazine on: indie and folk music
  • This social group has been represented by putting the names of the bands that they like down the left had side of the magazine cover
  • Also to represent the folk group in my magazine I have used my artist and the identity that I have given her to show the represent the genre to the readers. She plays guitar which is something folk music is known for as well as indie music. doing this is one way which I represented the social group
  • The costume that Chloe, my artist, is wearing represents the indie/folk genre well. I wanted to use a vintage style which is why the costumes used are very floral. From my reaearch and planning stages I knew that I wanted her to have a vintage style which I feel reflects the genre well

This media consumption file for hipsters from UK TRIBES shows that they are very interested in magazines which is good for my product as it is a magazine. A music enthusiast would be interested in music magazines (my product) and radio- both of which hipsters are interested in. They are also interested in the internet which would suggest they enjoy social networking such as facebook and twitter which is why i have included the magazines twitter information on the contents page and the magazine article writers twitter information. This would also suggest that they download a lot of music over iTunes rather than buying albums which is why i have included my artists album release date rather than saying 'album in stores...' as this would appeal to them more.


Artist Comparisson

Ellie Goulding/Chloe Roberts



Similarities:
  • The makeup that has been used on both of the female artists is very natural looking which reflects the 'free spirited' relaxed music genre. Folk is quite an earthy type of music and I think that the natural make up suits the genre and makes my artist look authentic. Ellie has nude coloured lips whereas Chloe has pink. I chose this because I think that the pink contrasts well with her hair colour.
  • The pose used by both girls includes having their hand near their face wither holding their hair or the jacket. I thought that the image of Chlow was quite striking which is why I used it as a cover shot and and I also think that the image of Ellie is striking which makes my artist look genuine. The confidence exerted by Ellie shows that she is a famous artist and I believe that Chloe shows a similar level of confidence which makes her status as a famous musician more believable.
  • Both of the artists are wearing a pale blue denim jacket. I liked the costume which Ellie was wearing as I thought that it linked in well with the indie folk genre and I wanted to portray Chloe in the same way.

Differences:
  • The two images show the artists hair being different. Ellies looks much more professionally done and is ver made up where as Chloe is more natural. I chose to do this because I thought that her having a more natural hair style would reflect the earth sounds and image assoicated with folk music.
  • Also Ellie is pictured against a black background whereas Chloe is against a white background. Although these shots will have both been taken in a studio, I chose to go with a more natural tone as a background which, again, I thought reflected the genre of music well.
  • Ellie is wearing quite big chunky jewellery whereas Chloe isn't. I wanted Chloe to look subtle and I think that if she was wearing a lot of jewellery it would have taken attention away from her face/hair which waas something I didn't want to happen.

Artist Comparisson

Florence Welch/Chloe Roberts


Similarities:
  • Both of the images have been taken on a white background. Although this is similar, the reasns that this has been done could be different. I chose to do this because it will make the image a lot softer which represents the genre. The image of florence has been taken on a white background because it makes her stand out more and makes the image more striking to look at
  • Both of the artists have been styled to wear a black and white dress. The butterfly dress that Chloe is wearing looks very vintage which is the style that I was going for as it is what I have wanted since the research and planning section of my coursework. Florence is wearing a black and white patterned dress which makes the image stand out a lot and makes her look very striking
  • They both have naturally red hair which I think makes them similar. The look that I ewas going for was vintage and Florences style (not in this image) is normally quite vintage
  • They both have a subtle ring on their left hand which sugeests contuniuty within the music genre

Differences:
  • Florence looks professionally madeup in comparisson to Chloe due to the 'perfect' skin and bright red lipstick. Also her hair is very sleek and glossy whereas Chloes hair and makeup is very natural and free. I have done this because it reflects the music genre which I used in my magazine whereas Florence has been made to look more striking rather than natural
  • Florences hair is a lot more red than Chloe which has been done to make her stand out more and give her more of a character/identity. Chloes hair has not been enhanced and I feel as though this makes her look more folk than indie and I believe that florence looks more indie than folk.

Overall I think that my artists represents the genre very well. Her hair and make up is natural which reflects the folk element of the music. I think that the styling aslo looks genuine and the cover pose (shown on the comparisson with indie folk artist Ellie Goulding) shows her having confidence which makes her look as though she is a credible musician.







1 comment:

  1. use uktribes to help with this one. clearly identify the social group and then go from there. you have most of the information you just need to put it in the right order.

    ReplyDelete